Gilbert Mark Gilman

gilbert_gilman_01Gilbert Mark Gilman is a U.S. Army Veteran who was last seen by a Park Ranger in Olympic National Park, Washington on June 24, 2006. Planning on taking a day hike in Olympic National Park and carrying a camera but not backpack with supplies that may help him survive an extended and unexpected stay in the forest, Gilbert Mark Gilman parked his car at Staircase Ranger Station.  It was at this time that he was last seen by Park Ranger Sanny Lustig.  Sanny Lustig told the press that he had a conversation with Gilbert Mark Gilman in the parking lot when he had heard Gilbert’s music playing in his car and went to ask him to turn down his music.  The Park Ranger said it appeared as though Gilbert was getting ready to head out on a hike.

Gilbert Gilman was supposed to accompany a co-worker, Department Director Sandy Matheson, to a meeting in Spokane, Washington on Sunday, June 25, 2006, the day after he set out for his day long hike. When he failed to meet Sandy Matheson as originally planned, people started getting worried.  Gilbert Mark Gilman was reported missing on June 25, 2006.  A few days after Gilbert Gilman was reported missing, his vehicle, a 2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible was located  at the Staircase Ranger Station where he was last seen by Park Ranger Sanny Lustig on June 24, 2006.

This is not the first time that someone had gone missing after hiking in the Staircase area.  In the 1980s two hikers were reported missing after hiking in the Staircase area and were never found.  Searchers spent 10 days looking for any clue of Gilbert Gilman in the Staircase area.  They used tracking dogs, helicopter and a plane equipped with heat seeking equipment along with 62 searchers on the ground.  No sign of Gilbert Gilman was found.  There are several theories that have been discussed through the years such as Gilbert Gilman possibly being a victim of self-confessed serial killer Israel Keyes, or the idea that Gilbert Gilman voluntarily disappeared to work for the government.

Gilbert Mark Gilman was 47 years old when he went missing in 2006.  Gilbert Gilman is 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighed approximately 155 to 165 pounds at the time he was last seen. Gilbert Gilman has partially gray brown hair and brown eyes. He wears prescription glasses and has trouble seeing without them.  When Gilbert Gilman was last seen, he was wearing a bright green Hawaiian style floral shirt and khaki shorts with flip flops.

If you have any information about the whereabouts of Gilbert Mark Gilman, contact the Thurston County Sheriffs Office, Detective Jeff Rhoades at 360-427-9670 reference case # 06-05808-06. (NamUs MP # 22763)

News Article:

News Article:

Charley Project:

Project Jason:



Was Gilbert Gilman the victim of a serial killer?

One theory behind Gilbert Gilman’s sudden disappearance is that he was the victim of a serial killer.  The area where Gilbert Gilman was hiking consists of steep rocky hills and dense forest.  It is also an area where self-confessed serial killer Israel Keyes, who committed suicide in Anchorage in 2012, was known to have hiked. Israel Keyes served in the U.S. Army from 1998 through 2001 at Fort Lewis, Fort Hood, and in Egypt.  Israel Keyes lived near this hiking area from 2001 to 2007 and was issued a few overnight back country permits which allowed him access to the park during this time. The Federal Bureau of Investigations has linked Israel Keyes to the murders of 11 people between 2001 and 2012. Five of those eleven were killed when Israel Keyes lived in Neah Bay. Driving distance from Neah Bay to the Staircase Ranger Station in Olympic National Park is only 159 miles on US 101.  Israel Keyes, who had sought many of his victims while hiking and camping and in remote locations, committed suicide in 2012 after admitting to the murder of Samantha Koenig, an 18 year old barrista in Anchorage, Alaska.

Did Gilbert Gilman disappear to work for the government?

Gilbert Gilman had recently moved from New York to the Pacific Northwest and at the time of he went missing, Gilbert Gilman was the Deputy Director of the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems.  In this position, Gilbert Gilman lead policy and legislative affairs for the department. While many knew Gilbert Gilman as a well educated man that loved getting lost in the books he read, his mother paints a different picture of his in a news article by KIRO TV (News 7). His mother, Doris Gilman, told the investigative reporter that her son, Gilbert Gilman, “led a mysterious life, one that, at times, required their communications to at times be in code”. His mother said that she would ask him on the phone were he is and he would say “I’m in Newark” then follow up with “No. I’m in Baghdad or Mogadishu or I’m in Brussels or so on”.

When Gilbert Gilman served in the Army, he was a paratrooper who had served in many overseas locations such as duty in Panama, East Africa and Israel, and worked in embassies in Yemen and Mongolia*. Gilbert was once assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division and received two Bronze Star Medals. Gilbert Gilman is fluent in Arabic, Russian and Chinese and following his time in the military, he supposedly worked as a contractor in Iraq as an interrogator.  Gilbert’s mother told KIRO TV (News 7) that shortly before going missing, Gilbert was asked by the government to be a real life spy.  She originally had thought he had turned it down.   Gilbert Gilman’s records were reviewed by KIRO TV Investigators and they found that along with combat experience with the 82nd Airborne Division, “Gilman worked for the United Nations in Somalia, a shadow U.S. government in Afghanistan and for the DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency) on assignment in counter-terrorism and counter-intelligence relating weapons of mass destruction.”

*** Since we obtained some information from KIRO TV as one of the many sources for Gilbert Gilman’s Missing Veteran profile, we felt it important to add the following which is specifically mentioned on their page concerning the information that they shared publicly about the prior history of Gilbert Gilman. “Doris Gilman had concerns that a public viewing of our investigation might blow her son’s cover if, in fact, he was alive and working for a U.S. intelligence service. At her request, our team (KIRO TV 7 Investigation Team) contacted several agencies connected with the Department of Defense a month prior to the airing of this segment.


Leave a Reply